Diverse Faculty & Staff Working Group
Monday August 19 | 10:00am | Lighty 360D + ZOOM
Attendees: Lisa Gehring, Mollie Schotzko (for Phil Weiler), James Dalton, John Walter, Dan Records, Bryan Blaire, Jason Abrams, Theresa Elliot-Cheslek, Phyllis Erdman, Dion Crommarty, Obie Ford, Kate McAteer, Catherine Cooper
Welcome to new members
- Melanie Neuilly (Interim Vice Provost for Faculty Development)
- Bryan Blaire (Senior Associate Director of Athletics)
- Jon Walter (Administrative Planning Specialist, Institutional Research)
- Dion Crommarty (Assistant Director, Student Diversity, International Life)
Replacement co-chair for Recruitment/Retention initiative subgroup
Subgroup roster updates
Implicit Bias Awareness Training (Jaime, Phyllis, Obie, Renny)
- Trainings ongoing, and now scheduling sessions across the System via ZOOM
- 15 sessions scheduled through early September; ~176 attendees in total
- Sept 4, Sept 13 open sessions for all deans/faculty/staff
- Partnering with H.R.S. and tracking registration & attendance in Skillsoft
- Working to ensure we're empowering all members of search committees (this is not a one and done)
- Working to operationalize Equity Statements from incoming candidates
- Obie and Renny leading "equity and inclusion in the search process" as a part of B.a.C.E. training taking place in Vancouver; need to partner with Jaime to look at co-facilitating how we train across the system via ZOOM
Resource Guide (Obie, Jason, Abby)
- Qualtrics guide recirculated among the system in an effort to get greater participation from all campuses; +70 responses to date
- Follow up conversations to drill deeper on content and campus specific resources with participants is currently in process
- Format/Layout met with positive response
- Report of findings to date saved in OneDrive folder
Reviewed timeline for completion
- November 2019: draft + recommendations submitted to Jaime Nolan
- Jan 2020: draft routed to HRS and AAGs office for review/approval
- Feb/Mar 2020: possible go live?
Equity Advisors (Phyllis, Katie Cooper, Theresa, Sandra) See Discussion draft dated 8/19
- Working through designation of Assoc/Full Professor level for faculty; Director level and above for Staff
- Ongoing discussion around Incentivization (annual reviews; monetary stipend); 2-3 year appointment?
- Need to identify funding source for these positions. Address with President/Provost?
- Possible implementation in Spring 2020?
- Group in holding pattern until new co-chair installed
- Audit of what our current retention initiatives are
- What are the metrics we want to get out of this analysis (is it possible to gather from our current data system; current weakness system is that we have a low self-reporting turnout)
- Modernization effort should help this; we should do a robust re-analysis at this time of demographic data.
- Need to look at how folx are NOT being retained (is it at the 3-year review, tenure review, etc.; or is it as a result of culture and climate).
- Analysis done several years ago on success rates of those applying for tenure (included campus breakdown, but did not include race); 50% of the people we hire at WSU never make it to the point of obtaining tenure; we tenure 90%+ of those who apply for tenure
Tuesday, Aug 20 will be an official Fall2019-20 kickoff meeting for Responsible Admins/Co-Chairs/Admin Support during which we will:
- Review accomplishments for 2018-29 (1-2 pager)
- Review objectives and timelines for initiatives for 2019-20
- Review rosters for working group members
- Confirm expectations for new responsible admins, co-chairs, and admin support
Recurring Bi-Weekly Diverse Faculty Staff Meetings are on the books for every other Thursday at 3pm starting 9/12 scheduled through 12/19
Thursday, Sept 5: Next All Five Working Group Meeting from 9am-10:30am